MAKE SAFETY THE FIRST PRIORITY
On every island there are endless trails for nature lovers of all hiking levels and abilities. These exhilarating experiences are not without risk, however.
No matter how much experience you have, take precautions to ensure your security:
BEFORE YOU SET OUT
- Plan to hike with a partner or group.
- Let someone know what you’re doing, including where you’re going, who’s going with you, and when to expect your return.
- Research what clothing and gear you’ll need; dress and pack appropriately.
- Check weather conditions.
- Know your own capabilities.
- Something brightly colored
- Rain gear
- First aid kit
- 2-3 liters of fresh water
- Space blanket
- Stay on the trail.
- Look where you step.
- Stay together or arrange regrouping.
- Stay aware of the time.
- Monitor everyone’s condition.
- Monitor the weather.
- Avoid undue risks.
IN AN EMERGENCY
- Call 911; ask for fire rescue.
- Be visible; wear or hold your brightly colored item.
- Be audible; blow your whistle.
- Stay calm; keep a positive attitude and do not panic.
- Stay put; it increases your chance of being found quickly.
- Stay warm and dry; wrap yourself in your space blanket.
- Stay hydrated; drink water slowly and when needed.
Notify the person who was notified of your impending hike that you have returned.